In 1971 a few interesting things happened ...
- The Bee Gees, Donny Osmond, John Denver, Janis Joplin and The Partridge Family were on the radio
- The Australian Aboriginal Flag was flown for the first time
- William McMahon was Prime Minister of Australia
- Richard Nixon was President of the United States
- Jim Morrison, lead singer of The Doors, was found dead in his bathtub in Paris
- Silver Knight won the Melbourne Cup
- Malibu Barbie was released by Mattel at a recommended retail price of US$1.94
- Hawthorn defeated St Kilda by 7 points in the VFL Grand Final (attended by 118,192 spectators)
- Australia was experiencing a baby boom (1971 is Australia's largest ever year for births)
on a wintry Wednesday evening in July 1971, the day Twiggy was on the cover of Australian Women's Weekly (when it was a weekly magazine), Michael and Terry Meehan were thrilled at the news their baby sister had just been born.
To celebrate, join Adam and I for a glass of wine at
Shadowfax Winery
Sunday 10 July
12.30pm
K Road Werribee South
It will be a set menu of 2 courses (antipasto for entree and wood fired pizza for main) and there's a rumour there may be some chocolate cake. Stoneflower will be playing some funky jazz tracks too.
Post a comment by clicking on the 'comments' link below to let me know if you can make it or share some memories of 1971. [Anne, I have a feeling you were swanning around in flared jeans and platform shoes at the time??]
Look on the right hand side of this page for directions to Shadowfax and other random 1971 facts.
Looking forward to seeing you.
xo
I will come! Whose birthday is it again?
ReplyDeleteDanii Minogue's
ReplyDeleteWe will also be there.
ReplyDeleteI remember the night very well. Mum
I remember the night very well also, the late night call from the hospital woke me from a deep sleep. Dad.
To have a daughter was so special - you still are very special and always will be.
Mum & Dad xxx
Thanks mum & dad. xo
ReplyDeleteBarry & I are delighted to be asked to share your birthday celebration. We are looking forward to Sunday very much. I know for sure that I was wearing platform heels and flared jeans the year you were born and probably thought I looked great!!!
ReplyDeleteIt will be lovely to see you & Barry. I'm sure you looked fabulous in your seventies get up Judy. Can we see photos? xx
ReplyDeleteThe faded jeans got a real work out and yes I had platform shoes, green ones, and was told by the secretary to the State Manager of the Commonwealth Bank that "they weren't appropriate for the office", my how things have changed!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteBernie & I are looking forward to seeing you on Sunday
I love that!!! How could green platform shoes ever be inappropriate. xo
ReplyDeleteSounds fantastic. Luke and I are looking forward to it - see you on Sunday. Rach xxoo
ReplyDelete